Anyone with basic balance on a skateboard or roller skates can learn to WindSkate with a skate sail in just minutes with these feather weight skate sails that weigh just 6 to 8 pounds. WindSkating was created by Jamie Budge of the WindSkate company, and it is so easy that many skaters have learned the basics with less than five minutes of instruction. The lightness of the sail and the low friction of your skate wheels make it easy for skaters with intermediate skills or higher.
Time Required: 1 hour
- Assemble the thin plastic skate sail with a 12-foot mast and eight-foot boom, made of either wood or aluminum tubing by placing the mast in the cup and spreading the skate sail.
- Hold the WindSkate with one hand on each pole or both hands on the cross-bar.
- The skate sail mast and boom are manipulated by hand. With the wind at your back, angle to the left or right and position the leading pole as the mast, straight up and down, and trailing pole as the boom, more parallel to ground. Rest the boom's foam pad against inside your leg.
- As you angle across wind with leading mast pole straight up and down, pull the trailing boom pole against the wind to gain speed.
- To slow down let out on pressure in trailing boom pole or flip the entire WindSkate above your head and turn into the wind.
- You should be a competent outdoor skater before you attempt to wind skate.
- Wear protective clothing when you skate sail including knee pads, wrist guards, gloves, elbow pads and a helmet.
- Empty parking lots, playgrounds and bike paths make excellent WindSkate locations. New or smooth surfaces are recommended for smooth sailing with less friction. Area should be free of wind deflecting obstacles such as buildings, trees or walls.
- Skate only in areas free of traffic and debris and be wary of sudden changes in the wind that may upset your ride.
- A good skater won’t necessarily be a good WindSkater. It’s all in how you respond to the wind.
What You Need
- WindSkate skate sail
- Inline skates or a skateboard
- Protective gear
- A suitable outdoor location