USA Roller Sports (USARS), which evolved from being called the United States Amateur Confederation of Roller Skating, is the national governing body (NGB) for competitive roller sports (inline skating and roller skating) in the United States. It is recognized by the Federation Internationale de Roller Sports (FIRS) and the United States Olympic Committee.
USA Roller Sports has sponsored amateur figure skating, speed skating formats and venues and roller hockey skating competitions at the regional and national level since 1937. USARS has also been the United States' representative for the Federation Internationale de Roller Sports (FIRS) since 1972, after the merge of the Roller Skating Rink Operators' Association, (RSROA), and the United States Amateur Roller Skating Association, (USARSA). The current organization has jurisdiction over all rules, regulations and organization needed for the participation of United States roller skaters in international competition, including existing or possible Pan American Games and Olympic Games events.
USA Roller Sports competitive events currently uses an open residency policy - these activities are open to anyone from any country who meets the age and event requirements as long as that athlete registers to participate in the events as required.
USARS acknowledges artistic, speed, and hockey discipline categories, but individual membership applications categories also include noncompetitive, recreational, aggressive, and roller derby skating activities.
- Speed skating disciplines include both inline speed skating and quad speed skating.
- Artistic skating refers to roller figure skating, including singles, pairs, solo and team dance, compulsory figures, precision and show events skated on inline or quad skates.
- Hockey includes hardball, inline, select, and house roller hockey on any type of roller skates.
- Recreational skating refers to fitness skating and jam skating.
- Aggressive skating includes aggressive quadskating, alternative speed skating sports and extreme inline skating.
- Roller derby is a category of its own.
- USARS also accepts member organizations (like teams and leagues) and has other noncompetitive members (like coaches and officials).
With programs in all of these disciplines, USARS has a sport for every level of skating ability and skater interest from beginner to elite. This NGB can provide everything needed for individuals, clubs or organizations seeking involvment in competitions and social events across the nation. USARS is dedicated to creating, enhancing and conducting the best competitions and programs for roller sports.